There’s a funny thing, isn’t there about music? How hearing a particular song can take you back to a particular time and place. You don’t always realise it, either, until you hear Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody and are transported back to your fifth birthday party in 1988. Or is that just me?
Anyway, here are my top five all time favourite songs:
- Ed Sheeran,Thinking Out Loud – Something of a cliché, but we had this as our first dance at our wedding. To be fair the lyrics are highly appropriate.
2. Imagine Dragons,On Top Of The World – This song never fails to lift my spirits. I used to listen to it every morning on the way to work to psych myself up for the day when I was feeling stressed.
3. MAGIC!, Rude – This song was playing on the radio as we got in the car to go to the beach, where, unbeknown to me, hubby was about to propose. I like to think of it as a sign!
4. Brooke Fraser, Something in the Water – I love this little ditty. We first heard it on music television when on holiday in Turkey around five years ago. It makes me think of sunshine and happiness.
5. Pachelbel, Canon in D – Around a year before hubby even proposed, a string quartet came into school and played in assembly to encourage the children to take up music lessons. They played this tune and I was moved almost to tears. I knew that this would be the song I’d walk down the aisle to my future-hubby-but-not-even-fiance-yet on our wedding day. We booked the very same quartet to play at the church ceremony and then afterwards at the reception. So many of our guests said how great the quartet were – we specially requested modern hits to be played, so everyone at the reception was playing ‘name that tune’!
What are your favourite ever songs? What did you have as your first dance song?