I have lived in Norwich since I was around seven years old. I briefly moved away to Kent to go to university but returned once I had graduated and can honestly say that I love living here. I have moved around to different areas but have always stayed within a twenty minute drive of the city centre. At the moment, we live just ten minutes outside the centre, which is perfect for us. Here are five reasons why Norwich is a super cool place to live…
- Norwich is less than an hour away from a beach. And not only that, a choice of lovely beaches. Some of my favourites are Sheringham, Sea Palling, Wells-next-the-sea and Winterton, where hubby proposed.
- Because it’s not really a comfortable commute into London (approximately 1hr 50mins by train), Norwich is affordable. Our house is twice the size of our friends’ in Cambridge, for about two thirds of the price.
- The Norfolk Broads on its doorstep. Whether it’s hiring a boat for a day or having a drink at a pub on the water, it’s lovely to feel so close to nature.
- Norwich is really good for shopping. It has two shopping centres, a thriving high street and a lovely market, which has been there since the 11th century (although it has been modernised a bit since then). Norwich also has a network of historic lanes full of independent shops and cafés.
- The architecture. There’s lots to see in Norwich, just when you’re wandering around. There’s a castle, two cathedrals, and countless churches (at one time there was a pub for every day of the year and a church for every Sunday), plus modern architecture in the form of the Forum, which houses the central library and the BBC.
What’s your favourite thing about where you live?