As it’s Halloween, I thought I’d share the instructions for making a halloween swamp jelly that I made for a Halloween party I went to at the weekend. It’s really easy to make, but does take a bit of time as you have to wait for each layer of jelly to set before moving on to the next one. I’ve embedded a little video that I made of it so you can see what it’s like, with more details about the ingredients and method below.
How to Make Halloween Swamp Jelly
- Three packs of lime flavoured jelly (or any other flavour green jelly, for that swampy effect)
- Frogs and shoes from a packet of Haribo Super Mix (eat the rest at your leisure)
- One packet of jelly snakes
- Find a large bowl, which will hold three pints of liquid.
- Make the first pack of jelly according to the packet instructions. Pour into the bowl.
- Drop a few snakes, shoes and frogs into the mixture. Place bowl into the fridge for jelly to set.
- After the first layer of jelly has set, remove it from the fridge and pop a few more snakes, shoes and frogs on top of the set mixture.
- Make the second pack of jelly. Pour on top of the existing layer of jelly. Return bowl to fridge to set.
- Repeat steps four and five, finishing with a few snakes on the top.
The jelly went down really well with my friends at the weekend, and tastes great with a bit of ice cream! I’m sure you could make it on a smaller scale too, using a single packet of jelly. Just make part of the packet at a time, adjusting the water ratio. This would make a great maths activity for 7-10 year olds (sorry, teacher hat!).
Wishing everyone a very spoooooky Halloween!