After writing all about our packing escapades on Monday, I thought I’d share what we learned from four days away with Little M. At the very least it might save one reader a bit of time/space in the car!
1) We shouldn’t have bothered taking the Snüzpod. Despite Little M sleeping through for several nights before we went away, we discovered after several sleepless hours trying to replicate this with her Snüzpod in a Premier Inn that in fact all she wanted was to sleep in her pram carrycot.
Yep, sparko as soon as her head hit the mattress for around seven hours straight. We spent the rest of the break needlessly wedging the Snüzpod in the car.
2) An electric cool box which works on both 12v and mains is the best invention known to man when you’re on the move and need to store that precious breast milk. It would appear you’re not supposed to leave them plugged in for four days straight though. Who knew?!
3) We definitely made the right decision in not taking the baby bath. I just third-filled the hotel room bath and bathed her in that – in fact she loved it as we had more space to swoosh about.
4) I hate Milton. Hate it. To be fair cold water sterilising actually made the whole process faster, but I hated that everything smelt like a swimming pool and felt like I was feeding Little M chemicals. I think I’d even consider taking my microwave next time. It can fill the space left by the Snüzpod!
5) Be prepared to add at least 50% more time onto your journey. Google maps told us it would take 4hrs 21 minutes to complete our 241-mile journey. We arrived home two stops and 6hrs 45 minutes later. And that was with clear roads on the whole.
As an aside, I also discovered that I have lost some of my inhibitions and can pump away from home more easily now. This past week I have expressed in hotel rooms, pub toilets and the front seat of the car at Fleet services on the M3, with a muslin to cover my modesty. I do often wonder what passers-by must think I’m doing with my hands…
What are your top tips for travelling with a baby?