Last week I blogged about our first NCT class and what it involved. Someone commented that they’d like to hear about what would happen next so I thought I’d write about it some more!
Since that post we’ve had another two-hour evening session and an all day Saturday session. I have to admit, they have been really helpful and the course leader has been much better about answering all of our questions and telling us about the things we want to know – phew!
I probably won’t remember everything we talked about and wouldn’t want to bore you with it all here, so I’ll try to summarise what we covered (not necessarily in this order!):
- Baby sleep
- Bathing the baby*
- Common things that occur in newborn babies which could make you panic but are actually perfectly normal (weird birth marks, skin rashes etc)
- Postnatal Depression
- How soon to have sex after the baby is born (this was more a discussion between us in single-sex groups, rather than being led as such)
- Changes to your daily routine once baby arrives
- Pain relief options for labour
- Things to pack in our hospital bags
There were probably other things too but I’ve got a head like a sieve. Fortunately I’m pregnant so I can use baby brain as an excuse. How long after the birth do I get to use it for?!
The Saturday session was particularly good as I feel we’ve really bonded as a group and don’t feel awkward discussing things with each other. We’ve started a Facebook group too and the men have even got their own little Whatsapp splinter group (although I suspect this is more banter than sensitive discussion, it’s good for them to be able to chat about stuff if they need to!).
*I now realise I didn’t have a clue on how to bath a baby and what to do. In fact I’m still not sure. Will have to read more to avoid accidentally drowning the poor child.
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored in any way. We paid for our NCT classes ourselves.