Hub and I took a long-anticipated trip to Kiddicare yesterday. I’ll write about that more in another post but it was something he said the night before that got me thinking: what are the essential items that we need for a newborn?
This pondering was brought about by hub declaring that surely we only needed to look at pushchairs in Kiddicare? We’ve already purchased a bedside crib, what more could we possibly need?!
Cue a slight meltdown from me as I saw all of my baby shopping dreams turn to dust. What could he mean?! Surely we have loads of things we need to get, immediately, if we ever want to stand a chance of being ready for baby’s arrival. I mean due date is just under sixteen weeks away now! (Sixteen? Oh. Maybe I am overreacting just a little bit.)
So I did what any rational person would do and turned to Twitter. I thought I’d be clever about it and ask the dads, because hubby couldn’t possibly argue with their man wisdom, right?
Except their wisdom wasn’t quite what I was hoping to hear. Phrases like ‘newborn babies really don’t need as much stuff as you think’ and ‘just a few bits are enough to start, you can buy other things as you need them’ floated across the Twittersphere to my sulky ears. Humph.
Anyway, I then thought of my female friends’ suggestions of what I’d need and really, the answers weren’t much different. I think the difference is that women (If they’re like me, anyway) like to have everything ready in advance of baby’s arrival whereas men (and hub seems to be at the slightly more extreme end of this spectrum) are happy for baby to arrive and see what’s needed (I could feel palpitations forming just at the writing of those words!)
Generally though, everyone seems to agree on the following as baby essentials:
- Something for the baby to sleep in. Whether you choose a Moses basket or a bedside crib, the baby will need something to sleep in. Personally, we’ve chosen a Snuzpod as we’ve heard such great things about them.
- A pram. We’re still researching our options on this one; I’ll let you know our frontrunners and our final choice in a later post!
- Car seat. Must work with the above. Obviously only necessary if you own a car!
- A sling/baby carrier. This might only be for you if you like the idea of babywearing. I do, but like the look of the cloth slings rather than things with lots of clips and buckles. Something we need to look into further!
- Thermometer. We live in a new build house which seems to be incredibly well insulated – great for our bills (and for me, I’m always cold!) but when our friend’s little boy visits he always goes bright red and grizzly and we look on whimpering, “the heating’s not on, honestly” as his parents frantically peel layers off him! Hence, we’ve been worrying about how to monitor the temperature of the nursery. We were lucky enough to be sent a Gro Egg and love it – I particularly like that you can just clock the colour of the night light rather than having to read the temperature – it will help me to notice changes that might affect baby.
- Muslins. I get the impression that however many you have of these, it’s not enough!
- Sleep suits/baby grows. But how are you supposed to know what size?!
- Nappies. Same sentiments as baby grows apply! How do new parents learn this stuff?! Plus there’s the whole disposable/cloth debate. I think I’ll save that one for another time…
Is there anything I’ve missed? Please help me if there is (can you tell I don’t want to be unprepared?!). What are your newborn baby essentials?
Disclaimer: The Gro Company were kind enough to send me a Gro Egg, however all opinions are my own.
Thank you to @TheDadhe, @The_dadventurer, @twopointfourdad, @becb1984, @mummyadventure, @emilyvaughanx and @chellemccann for your much-valued advice on this!